Fernandina Plant

Fernandina Plant banner

Our first plant in the Southeast, the Fernandina Beach facility, was constructed in 1937 near downtown Fernandina Beach, Florida. The plant produces 160,000 metric tons of softwood cellulose specialties per year and employs more than 300 people. It contributes $35 million annually to Florida’s wages and salaries and $2 million to Florida’s property and sales taxes.

The plant’s property is home to the new Eight Flags LLC combined heat and power (CHP) plant, a partnership between Rayonier Advanced Materials, Chesapeake Utilities and Florida Public Utilities. Fueled by natural gas, the CHP plant – which began operation in mid-2016 – generates 20 MW of power for FPU’s Amelia Island customers. In addition to leasing land to Eight Flags LLC for the project, Rayonier Advanced Materials entered into a 20-year agreement to purchase low-cost steam from the facility for use in our Fernandina plant.